Sunday, April 5, 2009

Wake service for the late Tay Heng Lee

First of all, sorry for the late update, because by the time I came back from the service, it was time for me to sleep. =P

Anyway... The wake service was held at the PJ Modern Casket a few minutes drive from PJ New Town. (I wish I can call it PJ CBD.) The service started at 8.30pm, and ended at around 10.15 pm. On such a short notice, I had to follow my parents and one of my relatives, with my short pants ON! (Embarrasing leh.) Almost all people who attended the services wear jeans/long pants. So, I feel kinda left out. XP

So, we began by having a moment of silence for one minute before Pastor Alexa started the opening prayer. Then, Don led us into worship by singing 2 songs. AFter settling down, Pastor Alexa gave a briefing about the service, thanking the crowd for taking their time to attend the wake service despite the horrible weather. (Yes, it was raining really heavily on several occasions.)

Then, it was time for the relatives and friends to give a speech about Uncle Heng Lee. There are so many messages which talk about him. I think I liked his brother's speech the most though. Very touching.

And so the speech drag on and on, until Pastor Alexa stopped and made way for Senior Pastor Richard (He's leading the congegration on all centres if you don't know about him.) to give the message to all of us. This is somewhat similar to this story of King David (NOT ME OK? LOL!)

You remember that King David is a man of God, but has sinned against him by sleeping with Bethsheba, don't you? Well, God actually didn't like that and sent the prophet Nathan to rebuke the king. Of course he realized it and the prophet said that the Lord forgave him, but with a price of his newborn son. So, for the course of 7 days, the king fasted and pleaded to the Lord to heal his son. Unfortunately, after 7 days, the baby died. When the administrators did tell him about it, he got up, dressed, and ordered a meal. They were surprised and asked him," Why are you acting this way? While your son was sick, you fasted and prayed. But when your son died, there you are, sitting on the table and eat!"

You know what David said?

"While my son is still alive, I fasted and cried out to the Lord. Who knows? Maybe God will have mercy and heal my son. But now he is dead, so what's the point? I can go to him, but he cannot return to me."

This is something similar to what happen when the CBC KD congregation held a 3-day fast and prayer for Uncle Heng Lee just last week. Pastor Richard's message is so true after all.

And another point is, would Aunty Shirley rather wanted Uncle Heng Lee back and continue to suffer, or would she let him return to the Lord where there is no pain, no sorrow, just pure happiness? I believe so.

The services ended with 2 more songs, a benediction from Pastor Alexa, and all the people rounded the casket to pay our last respects to Uncle Heng Lee, and to send condolences to his family and relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment